Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims in Oklahoma

Understanding Oklahoma Insurance Requirements

Experienced underinsured and uninsured motorist attorneys explain your responsibilities

Within the state of Oklahoma, every registered car must carry active and adequate car insurance at all times. When a collision occurs and the at-fault driver does not have insurance, or his or her policy does not completely cover the damages, many complex legal issues arise. This scenario can be a nightmare for the injured party. At the Stipe Law Firm, our Oklahoma underinsured and uninsured motorist lawyers have the vast experience and deep legal knowledge to handle these types of complicated claims.

Oklahoma’s auto insurance requirements

Generally, anyone who registers a vehicle within the state of Oklahoma is required to carry the following minimum amounts of automobile insurance:

  • Liability coverage of $25,000 for all claims for bodily injury damages sustained by any one person
  • No less than $50,000 for all bodily injury damages sustained by all persons as a result of any one accident
  • A minimum of $25,000 for all property damage

Uninsured drivers may be forced to purchase an adequate policy by law enforcement officials. According to 2013 statistics, the Coalition Against Uninsured Drivers says 24 percent of Oklahomans do not have car insurance.

The tort system

Oklahoma is a “fault” insurance state, which means that whoever was at fault for the accident is responsible for all damages. This is known as a “tort system.” If you are involved in a crash and the other driver is at fault, that driver would be held liable for all damages. Usually, those damages would be paid by the at-fault driver’s insurance policy. Yet, if the driver does not have insurance or does not have adequate insurance, your claim may get complicated. In some instances, the negligent driver flees the scene of the accident, so you do not even have his or her personal information.

A Oklahoma uninsured and underinsured motorist attorney can provide guidance on this issue, particularly if the negligent driver does not have auto insurance or if you are involved in a hit-and-run accident.

Uninsured/underinsured options

Oklahoma does not require drivers to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. However, many drivers choose to add it to their policies as an added precaution. If an uninsured or underinsured driver injures you, you may have to look to your own insurance policy for coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage can prove invaluable under these circumstances.  This coverage pays you, resident members of your family, and occupants of your car for personal injuries caused by an uninsured motorist, an underinsured motorist, or a hit and run driver; however it does not cover property damage. Your own collision policy would cover the damage to your vehicle and other personal belongings.  If you only have liability coverage, then you may be responsible for paying for the damage to your car and your injuries out-of-pocket.

An Oklahoma auto accident attorney from Stipe Law Firm can answer your questions about uninsured and underinsured insurance.

Knowledgeable Oklahoma attorneys handle your uninsured and underinsured motorist claim with skill

The Oklahoma uninsured and underinsured motorist lawyers of the Stipe Law Firm advocate diligently for our clients. If you were involved in an accident, please call 918-558-2255 or fill out our contact form to schedule a no-obligation consultation at our McAlester office. We proudly serve auto accident victims throughout Oklahoma.