McAlester Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Representing Injured Bicyclists on Oklahoma Roadways
Bicyclists are in constant danger when sharing the road with cars and trucks. The negligence of one individual may set off a chain of events that can prove deadly for those cycling on or near the roadway. At Stipe Law Firm, our experienced bicycle accident lawyers in McAlester help injured cyclists recover much-needed compensation from careless drivers after a serious crash. We aim to help minimize the hardship for you and your family while working diligently to secure full and fair compensation on your behalf.
Call Stipe Law Firm today at (918) 505-7741 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our bicycle accident lawyer in McAlester.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Most riders diligently abide by roadway regulations. Yet, the openness of a bicycle puts the operator at an increased risk of injury when navigating streets beside cars and trucks. Traumatic brain injuries and broken bones are among the many injuries that are common for bicycle accident victims. An experienced McAlester bicycle accident lawyer can help you file a claim for damages.
Some of the most common bicycle accident scenarios include:
- Vehicles pulling out in front of bicyclists from parking lots or cross streets
- Vehicles follow too closely behind cyclists instead of affording them adequate space
- Individuals opening their car doors into the path of an approaching cyclist
- Drivers failing to yield to a cyclist when the cyclist has the right of way
- Drivers running a stop light or stop sign
- Vehicles driving the wrong way down a one-way street
- Drivers operating a vehicle while intoxicated
In the state of Oklahoma, injured bicyclists can file a claim against the automobile insurance company of the at-fault driver. If successful, an award may cover all of the costs associated with your injury.
Common Injuries in Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can lead to a range of injuries, some of which may have long-lasting effects on victims. Understanding the common injuries associated with these accidents is essential in building a solid legal case. Some common injuries in bicycle accidents may include:
- Head Injuries: Traumatic brain injuries are prevalent in bicycle accidents, often occurring due to direct impact or sudden stops. Even with helmets, cyclists remain vulnerable to head injuries that can lead to cognitive impairments and lifelong challenges.
- Fractures and Orthopedic Injuries: The impact of a collision can cause fractures, dislocations, and other orthopedic injuries. Broken bones and joint damage may need extensive medical treatment, rehabilitation, and time away from your job.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Severe bicycle accidents can lead to spinal cord injuries, leading to paralysis or loss of motor function. These life-altering injuries demand comprehensive legal representation to address the long-term impact on the victim's life.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Muscular sprains, strains, and ligament damage are common in bicycle accidents. While these injuries may not always be instantly obvious, they can cause chronic pain and require ongoing medical attention.
- Facial Injuries: Cyclists may sustain facial injuries, including fractures, lacerations, and dental damage, often requiring reconstructive surgery and extensive medical care.
What Damages Could Be Recovered in a Bicycle Accident Claim?
When pursuing a bicycle accident claim, it is essential to identify the damages that may be recoverable. Potential damages that could be recovered in a bicycle accident claim may include:
- Medical Expenses: Compensation for present and future medical expenses related to the treatment of injuries sustained from the accident, including hospital stays, surgeries, rehabilitation, and prescription medications.
- Lost Wages: If the victim is unable to work because of their injuries, they may be entitled to compensation for lost wages. Additionally, future earning capacity may be considered if the injuries result in a diminished ability to work.
- Pain and Suffering: Non-economic damages, like physical pain, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life, are critical aspects of a bicycle accident claim. Our legal team works diligently to assess and quantify these damages to ensure fair compensation.
- Property Damage: Compensation for the repair or replacement of the bicycle and any other property damaged in the accident.
- Wrongful Death Damages: In the tragic event of a fatality, surviving family members may seek wrongful death damages, including funeral costs, loss of financial support, and the emotional toll of losing a loved one.
- Punitive Damages: In cases involving egregious negligence or intentional misconduct, punitive damages may be sought to punish the responsible party and discourage similar behavior in the future.
If you are a bicyclist victim in a vehicle crash, it's important to follow these steps following an accident:
- Call 911 and seek medical attention immediately following the accident.
- If your injuries allow, obtain information about your accident by getting the driver’s insurance information and request contact numbers from any eyewitnesses.
- If possible, take pictures of the scene on your cell phone or have another person take photographs.
- It is okay to speak with law enforcement generally, but do not admit any guilt or fault for the accident.
- Once you have sought medical treatment, contact an experienced bicycle accident attorney in McAlester to learn how to pursue damages for your injuries.
- Make sure to keep records of all your medical treatment, including follow-up care, surgeries, and diagnoses. Hard evidence helps prove that you suffered damages as a result of the driver’s negligence.
We offer no-obligation case evaluations.
Our clients have unlimited accessibility to us.
Our firm has secured millions in verdicts and settlements.
We serve injury victims across Southeast Oklahoma.
Our attorneys have 60+ years of legal experience.
At Stipe Law Firm, we are concerned about the well-being of our clients. To reserve a no-obligation consultation with an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in McAlester, please call (918) 505-7741 or fill out our contact form. From our McAlester office, we also represent clients in Tahlequah, Poteau, and all of Pittsburg County.
Contact Stipe Law Firm today to get started with our McAlester bicycle accident attorney.