Truck drivers have an even greater responsibility to drive safely due to the more substantial dangers trucks present, which is why the industry is so heavily regulated. Unfortunately, not all truck drivers respect the regulations and laws designed to protect everyone on the road. If you were injured in a truck accident because the truck driver failed to obey certain regulations, you must obtain the experienced representation of a truck accident attorney to pursue compensation.
Here are some of the most common truck driver violations that result in accidents:
- Working more hours than allowed: One of the biggest problems in the trucking industry is that drivers are often too fatigued to safely operate a vehicle. To combat this, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) set forth regulations to restrict the number of hours truck drivers are allowed to drive before they must rest. However, these rules are frequently disregarded, increasing the chances of a serious or fatal accident.
- Falsified logbooks: To evade the law, some truck drivers keep two sets of logbooks, one of which contains false information regarding the number of hours they drove. Doing so allows them to bypass the law while working longer hours to satisfy the demands of their employer.
- Traffic laws: Of course, much like any other driver on the road, truck drivers might simply violate the traffic laws we are all expected to obey. Speeding, running a red light, or failing to yield the right of way are all common truck driver violations that could potentially lead to an accident.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol: Truck drivers are also prohibited from driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. In fact, the BAC limit for truck drivers is stricter than it is for drivers of other motor vehicles (0.04% compared to 0.08%).
- An improperly loaded truck: It is crucial for transported freight to be properly loaded in order to prevent any shifting on the road. Freight that is not properly loaded could fall out, into the path of other vehicles, resulting in a devastating accident.
- Poor vehicle maintenance: Trucks are on the road for numerous hours and endure a lot of wear and tear, which is why vehicle maintenance is especially critical. When trucking companies try to cut corners on repairs and regular maintenance, accidents happen.
Schedule a Free Consultation with an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney Today!
At the Stipe Law Firm, our team of truck accident attorneys is committed to providing fierce legal representation on behalf of those who sustained severe injuries in a truck accident. Our team has over six decades of collective legal experience and a history of proven success that includes millions of dollars recovered on behalf of our clients, so you can feel confident that your case will be in skilled hands with us.
Contact our law firm today at (918) 505-7741 to request a confidential and complimentary case review with one of our knowledgeable attorneys to discuss your case.