Frequently Asked Questions in Oklahoma Workers’ Compensation Cases

Skilled Oklahoma work injury attorneys answer your questions

Injured workers have many questions about their rights and their duties. Some questions are about eligibility. Other questions are about notice and filing requirements. Many questions are about what benefits can be obtained. Still other questions center around how the claims process works.

At Stipe Law Firm, our experienced Oklahoma workers’ compensation attorneys understand workers’ compensation and personal injury law. We have been helping workers get justice for more than a combined 60 years. Our track record includes filing numerous claims and trying cases before workers’ compensation referees and mediators. In third-party cases, we try cases before juries. We have the skill and knowledge to calmly and clearly answer the questions that all injured workers and the families of deceased workers have about each phase of the litigation process.

Some of the common questions workers ask

If you have been injured in your workplace, you may need the answers to any of the following questions:

When should I notify my employer of a workplace accident? The best course of action is to report any accident as soon as you can. If there is any type of injury due to the accident, workers must notify their employee within 30 days of the injury. A failure to provide timely notification to your employer can terminate your right to claim benefits. Delay can also damage your chance to get the right treatment. If you have the slightest doubt, please contact our office.

What benefits can I get in a workers’ compensation case? Workers’ compensation benefits can include:

  • Payment for all reasonable medical bills, including hospital surgeries, doctors’ visits, medical devices, and prescriptions
  • 70% of the worker’s average weekly wages until he or she returns to work
  • Additional wage-loss benefits if the worker is partially or totally permanently disabled
  • Vocational rehabilitation expenses
  • Cost-of-living adjustments
  • Death benefits
  • Transportation expenses for doctor visits

How should I proceed if my claim is denied? The most important step to take is to acquire representation from one of our Oklahoma workers’ compensation attorneys as soon as possible. If your employer refuses to pay benefits, we can file a claim petition on your behalf. Our lawyers prepare the case for a hearing or for mediation. Even if the employer pays the claim, there is the danger the employer may try to cut you off early. You should always file a formal claim.

Can I select my own doctor? Generally, the employer will provide a list of doctors, called a “panel of doctors,” for the worker to select from. Workers are required to take the advice of their doctors. Patients do have some rights to switch doctors if the doctor’s treatments are not working.

Get answers to all your questions by calling our Oklahoma workers’ compensation law firm today

The Oklahoma workers’ compensation lawyers at the Stipe Law Firm have more than six decades of combined work injury experience. Our lawyers and legal team guide each client through all aspects of their claim, beginning with answering each and every question. We understand how worried you are about paying your bills and getting healthy. We want you to understand your rights, options, and what benefits the law allows. Call us now at 918-558-2255 or fill out our contact form to discuss your case for free. From our McAlester office, we represent clients throughout the state.