Helpful Oklahoma Accident Lawyers Represent You
Our Oklahoma auto accident lawyers give post-accident tips
The time immediately following a car accident can be quite stressful and surreal. Drivers involved in an accident may experience a flood of emotions and may have trouble controlling them. To the extent possible, it’s best to take certain measures following the accident, as evidence may no longer be available later.
What to do after a car accident
As Oklahoma City auto accident attorneys, Stipe, Harper, Laizure, Uselton, Belote, Maxcey & Thetford suggests the following preparation and post-accident steps:
- Have an emergency kit ready. Drivers should have cell phones, a pen and paper for note taking, a camera to take photos of the vehicle and accident scene and a card with information about allergies or conditions of potential passengers. It also helps to have a flashlight, emergency flares and a first aid kit.
- Remember to stay safe. The first thing you should do is move your vehicle to the side of the road. If this requires pushing your vehicle, make sure that you do not expose yourself to oncoming traffic.
- Exchange information. You and the other driver should exchange name, address, phone number, insurance company and policy number, license plate number, driver’s license number and the name of the owner of each vehicle (if you are not the owner).
- Document the accident. Take notes about the state of each vehicle and the driver’s appearance and attitude. Take photos of the damage, as these photos could become important for legal proceedings. If applicable, try to get the contact information of any witnesses present – they might be of use later if the other drivers offer a different story. Also note the road conditions and weather at the time of the accident.
- File an accident report. Law enforcement might not need to be contacted if there are no injuries, but you should still register an official state vehicle accident report, which is available at police stations and the website of the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, let a medical professional make that diagnosis. Some conditions do not appear until later. Remember to save all your bills.
- Know your insurance. Be sure that you know the full extent of what your insurance policy covers so that you avoid any nasty surprises.
- Contact a lawyer. Contact an experienced auto accident attorney to learn your legal options.
Helping auto accident victims is one of our primary areas of practice. We know the law when it comes to motor vehicle accidents, so work with our team today if you or a loved one needs an attorney after a crash or you’re interested in what car accident victims need to know about insurance companies.
Contact an Oklahoma auto accident attorney for more information
If you have any other questions about what you should do immediately following a car accident, contact the offices of Stipe, Harper, Laizure, Uselton, Belote, Maxcey & Thetford today. You can reach us by phone or through our online contact form. We accept auto accident cases on contingency, meaning you pay no attorney’s fees unless we recover for you.