Seasoned Oklahoma Auto Accident Attorneys Help Residents Determine Fault in Their Accident
Our legal teams explains the legal process in more detail
The first step in filing a car accident claim is the determination of fault. Oklahoma is a “fault” state – which means that the person determined to have caused the accident is thereby responsible for providing compensation. This person is referred to as the defendant in car accident litigation cases and can be held responsible for compensating the injured party for medical expenses, loss of wages and emotional distress.
An experienced Oklahoma auto accident attorney is critical to accurately assessing fault in a car accident case. Our team provides a general overview of the highly specific process the Stipe Law Firm uses in fault determination. With several multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts to our firm’s name, you can trust our skill, experience, and reputation for getting results.
Oklahoma car accident lawyers explain how fault is determined
The auto accident attorneys at Stipe Law Firm use the following guidelines as a blueprint for determining fault in your car accident case. Learn how we assess liability, and then call Stipe Law Firm to speak with a trusted attorney about the specifics of your case.
- Assessing each driver’s duty. Every motor vehicle operator has a “duty” to drive responsibly and take responsibility for the safety of the other drivers on the road. If a driver has been found negligent in this duty, he or she can be held responsible for the accident.
- Assessing avoidance. Avoidance refers to the efforts made to avoid the collision. Did the driver take every possible step to avoid the collision? If not, the driver can be held at least partially responsible for the accident.
- Determining adherence to the rules of the road. This involves cross checking the rules of the road (speed limits, no passing zones, etc.) against the specifics of the accident to determine whether both parties have upheld their “duty” to ensure the safety of other drivers by adhering the rules of the road.
- Assessing the correlation between the damage and the duties. If a driver is found to have been negligent in upholding his “duty” to ensure the safety of other drivers, the specifics of the accident’s damage will be examined in a cause and effect manner. Stipe Law Firm will investigate to what degree and extent the negligence of the other driver caused the damages. In order to collect a settlement based on negligence, an experienced Oklahoma auto accident attorney will need to prove that the cause of the accident (driver negligence) was directly responsible for the damages.
- Assessing the damages. Damages include property damages or physical injury to the driver or passengers. All claimed damages must be a direct result of the accident. Car accident attorneys are required to prove that all injuries resulted from the accident.
This is an extremely basic explanation of the fault determination process. To learn more about fault determination in your case, contact Stipe Law Firm to speak with an experienced attorney.
Contact an Oklahoma car accident lawyer to learn more
To learn more about your options, call the offices of Stipe Law Firm today. Our experienced Oklahoma auto accident attorneys can be reached at 918-558-2255 or by completing our contact form. Our team will walk you through determining fault in your car accident and help you get the settlement you deserve.