Who is Eligible for SSI and under What Conditions?
Before applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you should familiarize yourself with the basic eligibility requirements. The application process can be very involved, so you should make sure you are eligible before applying. If you qualify, you should still hire a knowledgeable attorney to assist you with your case. Learn more about the eligibility requirements for SSI below.
SSI is available to people who are 65 and older. It is also available to blind people and disabled people. In addition to that, the following criteria must be met:
- Income - You must have limited resources and a low income.
- All opportunities must be exhausted - If you are possibly eligible for a pension, Social Security benefits or other benefits, you must demonstrate that you have applied for such benefits.
- Citizenship - You must be a U.S. citizen or national.
- Residency - You must live in one of the 50 states, the Marianas Islands or the District of Columbia.
- Absences - You may not be absent from the country for a full calendar month or for 30 consecutive days or longer.
Applying for SSI
If you meet the preceding criteria, you may apply for SSI. When you do so, you must give the Social Security Administration permission to contact any financial institutions where you hold accounts and to access financial information about you. You will have to officially submit an application. Unlike Social Security benefits, you may not apply online. You have to make an appointment and apply in person. Keep in mind that the SSA might ask for additional information as well. To get through the process as easily and successfully as possible, you should retain a talented, experienced and knowledgeable lawyer. The right legal representation can make all of the difference in the world.
Don’t lose precious time trying to figure out how to file the claim yourself. Contact one of our competent Oklahoma injury lawyers today, and let Stipe, Harper, Laizure, Uselton, Belote, Maxcey & Thetford take care of the paperwork for you.